How to get a work permit in Canada in 3 steps

How to get a work permit in Canada in 3 steps


In Canada, there are at least two types of work permits:

  • the open work permit which allows you to work for any company,
  • and the closed work permit which is linked to an employer.

In this article I present to you the 3 important steps to obtain a closed work permit.


Before applying you must upload your CV to the Quebec model and also you may write a cover letter.

  • An example of CV to download here.
  • Download a sample cover letter here.

To obtain a closed work permit you must have a job offer. This means that a Canadian or Quebec company must hire you. To get a job offer, you must attend foreign worker recruitment events. There are several organizations in Quebec that regularly recruit. As :

  • Quebec in the lead and Quebec international
  • Talent Montreal

They are intended for foreign workers, in these platforms you will find many job offers for foreigners that you can apply for.


If you have obtained a job offer and the company is located in the province of Quebec, you must apply for a CAQ. Certificate of acceptance from Quebec, this request must be made to the Government of Quebec.

In some cases you must also obtain the Labor Market Impact Assessment document. This document proves that your employer was unsuccessful in hiring a permanent resident or Canadian citizen to do your job. Generally, it is the company that hired you that makes this request. So you don’t have to do anything on your side. Apart from providing the requested documents.


If your CAQ and LMIA application is approved, the next step is to apply for a work permit online on the Government of Canada website. Some employers request it for you. And others give you the necessary documents to do it yourself online on the Canadian immigration site. The fees for the work permit are 155$ CAD and 85$ for the biometrics fees, that is to say your fingerprints. Processing times to obtain an answer vary between 50 to 90 days depending on your country of residence.

Leave a Reply

This Post Has One Comment